[OSM-talk] Can you recommend good introduction to JOSM for 100% osm newbie?

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 19:16:36 UTC 2020

Might be a touch out of date, but useful guide to JOSM https://labs.mapbox.com/mapping/

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

On Thursday, September 24, 2020, 03:20:01 AM EDT, Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> wrote:

On 2020-09-24 08:50, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
> I looked at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM and
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Guide and
> https://learnosm.org/en/josm/
>
> but I am not fully happy about any of them (a bit too much at one for
> someone new)
>
> Why not iD: they want to edit and fix hiking relations, what AFAIK is
> not well supported in iD

Well, I only know the very basics in iD (and also Potlatch2). I even
have problems putting a node because it always wants to continue to a
way and I don't know how to stop this (believe in Potlatch2).
So every editor has a learning curve, even the ones that are supposed to
be the easy ones like iD or Potlatch2. Because I've been using JOSM for
years, I know how to use most if not all of the functions and I shun
away from iD or Potlatch2 just because I've never familiarized myself
with them (I don't see the need because they lack the features of JOSM).

I don't see what is "much" about
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Guide. 2 steps to start the
program (if you have Java installed) and the basic functions are
explained step by step.
Relations are always a more advanced topic, but I can't imagine that
with a few days of fiddling around you don't get the hang of it.

Regards,
Maarten