[OSM-talk] Tool for generating SVG maps from OSM data

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Apr 1 14:41:49 UTC 2021

I made https://mapsaregreat.com/osm_to_svg_in_browser/ that can
be used to generate SVG maps.

It will likely work well for tiny and small areas, it will definitely fail for very large
areas.

It is very experimental, feedback is welcomed -
https://github.com/matkoniecz/lunar_assembler/issues has list of known issues.

Map style used is not very interesting, though as a curiosity I can say that it
supports rendering area:highway areas.

It should be relatively simple to make own map styles and host own version,
please let me know if someone is interested in doing this and unable to figure out
how to start.

For other SVG-related software, including existing tools for generating maps see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/SVG

PS It was created as part of one of parts of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Tactile_maps_for_blind_or_visually_impaired_children

I was working on making generator of SVG file accepted by laser cutters,
and noticed that what I am creating can be a bit more generic
and accessible than initially planned tool.

Current tool is an experimental proof-of-concept with some of features that I need.

I know that tools consuming OSM data and producing SVG images exist already, but
according to my research none were at once

- working in browser
- not requiring install of any extra software
- allowing easy export of a generated image
- relatively easy to implement own map styles

or easily modifiable to fit all this requirements at once

I somehow suspect that such tool may be existing already - in such case please let me know!

PPS Thanks for Overpass API! Without Overpass it would be unable to work and would
require me to install, setup and maintain database replicating OSM data what is
beyond my abilities.