[OSM-talk] Java and JOSM

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 14:18:08 UTC 2021

On 03/04/2021 16:19, John Whelan wrote:
> I note that 17702 mentions OpenWebStart
>
> Does this mean I can remove JAVA from my machine and run JOSM with
> openwebstart?

JOSM is still written in Java and requires a Java runtime to execute it.

As to what OpenWebStart is, the best place to start to find out is
probably https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Web_Start ,
https://openwebstart.com/ows/ and https://openwebstart.com/docs/FAQ.html
.  Also, https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Download#Webstart explains
how it works with JOSM.

Personally, I've never used the webstart version of JOSM (preferring to
download a particular version and only upgrading when I need to to
resolve an issue), and have used that with OpenJDK on various platforms
with no issues.  I tend to only use a small subset of functionality in
JOSM though.

Best Regards,

Andy