[OSM-talk] Java and JOSM

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 18:14:31 UTC 2021

The opinion expressed on Oracle is my personal one based on dealing with
them over ten years in a corporate environment.

In my experience with mapathons where there is a requirement to map
buildings and the JOSM buildings_tool plugin would be invaluable the
policy of a number of companies and government agencies of not to
allowing JAVA to be installed means those mappers who have brought work
lap tops to the maparthon are unable to run JOSM which means the quality
of buildings suffers.

I don't think there are any lies in the above statements.

Realistically most programmers would agree that the Microsoft Visual
development environment is one of the most productive no matter what
language you are developing in.

Microsoft of thirty or forty years ago had security problems.  I don't
dispute that and recommended against the use of a number of their
products based on security concerns. You may not remember the Word Macro
problem when a document could run an macro on opening.  Very easy to
load in malware.  We went a different route at the time and avoided the
problems.

Today Microsoft takes security very seriously, little things like
windows update is sent out in a torrent like environment which means no
matter what government would like installed on a particular machine it
can't be done as there is no way to target a particular machine.

My ideal OSM editor would native code rather than running in a emulator.
You don't need the same amount of hardware for a given level of
performance.  You never know you might even get a decent level of
performance on a Raspberry Pi.

Written using Visual Studio, it's very good on the programmer
productivity side.

The way in would be someone would write a basic editor and then over
time add functionality.  I'm sure 10% of JOSM is used much more often
than the rest of it but that is just day dreaming.  I'm quite certain
that JOSM has evolved over time by many different authors.  Something
rewritten in C# might be clearer to understand.

"Ask Oracle Java Webstart users to switch to OpenWebStart" came up in
JOSM and I was wondering if that meant we could get rid of Oracle JAVA.
There are products such as Kotlin which can replace JAVA completely.

Anyway time to draw the discussion to a close.  I asked the question and
found out that JAVA webstart is something different to JAVA and we will
agree to disagree on whether I lie or not.

Cheerio John

Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>