[OSM-talk] Pictures of opening hours signs for machine learning purposes

Bryce Cogswell bryceco at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 02:02:12 UTC 2021

Here’s my first stab at automatically generating opening hours strings from photos provided by Lukas. There isn’t any attempt to make the output pretty or to rationalize it, I’m just detecting days/times and trying to form a valid opening_hours string:

http://gomaposm.com/opening_hours/index.php

While the results are mixed I feel that real-world results would be better for three reasons:
* The photos here were taken at off-angles for privacy reasons, which wouldn’t need to be the case when part of a phone app
* When translating with a “live” camera feed the user can move the phone until the translation is correct
* These results were done on my Mac, but ironically the OCR works better on the iPhone than the Mac (maybe because my phone has the iOS 14.5 beta running on it).

Bryce