[OSM-talk] Flagging issue with Micron organised editing

Pete Masters pedrito1414 at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 14 13:32:04 UTC 2021

*Hi all, writing with my HOT Head of Community
<https://www.hotosm.org/people/pete-masters/> hat on...Just want to flag
that there has been a large scale mapping effort done by a company called
Micron, which has led to some really poor quality mapping and damage to
data mapped previously by communities in different places…Micron have (with
good intent but little knowledge) jumped into mapping as an organisational
activity both through the HOT tasking manager and by directly editing OSM.
The edits can be identified through Pascal Neis’ changeset tool
(#gomicron21 changeset comment)
<https://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-changesets?comment=gomicron21#2/6.3/30.6>.These
edits were brought to HOT’s attention on Monday and we have taken the
following steps: - Found contacts at Micron and started a dialogue (they
have now asked all employees to stop mapping)- Notified the DWG of the
situation and sought advice on how to help resolve the poor quality edits-
Mobilised validators to support cleanup of map data (using #microncleanup
to identify these changesets)- Reaching out to communities where we have
identified the biggest impactsI am posting here to flag that this has
happened, but also to respond to a changeset comment
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/102826004#map=19/-11.83087/31.44469>
and discussions happening on the talk-gb channel around another project
using the tasking manager that has been affected.The Micron mapping was not
done in collaboration or with support from any other organisation or
community (including HOT or other Missing Maps members) and the company did
not share their plans prior to starting to edit. In fact, HOT had no
awareness of the company before researching the changesets once they were
brought to our attention.However, members of HOT staff are working to help
resolve the situation and appreciate the support we are receiving from the
wider OSM community. A big thanks to those that spotted the issue and
raised it, and to all those helping with data validation and correction!
Thanks,Pete*