[OSM-talk] [Tagging] proposed bot edit was: Re: history discardable ?

Oliver Simmons oliversimmo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 08:00:41 UTC 2021

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 at 07:02, Mateusz Konieczny via talk
<talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> I want to propose making this bot edit
>
> This edit would remove unneded and confusing history=* tags, remains of old software.
>
> It would remove
>
> history=retrieved using undelete JOSM plugin
> history=Retrieved from v1
> history=Retrieved from v2
> history=Retrieved from v76
>
> And merges of such values
> history=Retrieved from v7;Retrieved from v3
>
> Most values of this tag are pointless, confusing, unwelcome. Removing it manually
> (either in organized fashion or while editing affected objects) is a pointless waste of time
> when it is possible to automate it.
>
> Checking what that is by mappers encountering it and learning about it is a pointless waste of time.
> Removing this tags from current object version would mostly eliminate this.
>
> Making it a discardable key is not viable as some values can have some potential use
> (history=monument and similar mistaggings of historic), mass removing them silently is not OK.
>
> Removing via JOSM validator is also sometimes that would involve precious human attention
> that can be used far more beneficially than handling (semi)manual removal of worthless tags.
>
> Yes, making an edit requires modifying objects. The same would happen if mapper would remove them manually.
>
> Also, removal of this values would make history=monument and similar mistaggings of historic
> more visible (for example on taginfo), making rescue of that data easier.
>
> Full info:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny_-_bot_account/remove_history_tags_recording_revert_as_an_object_tag/

Looking at https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/history#values
I can only see 3 values that are obviously not junk (on the last page
of values), they appear to be names of some sort.

If we take a look at those 3 cases and fix them, then just making the
tag discardable seems to be a viable option.
I can't see any of the cases of people mixing up history= and
historic= you say there are.

-Oliver Simmons