[OSM-talk] Hashtags are not sufficient changeset comments

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sun Apr 18 19:33:29 UTC 2021

On 18.04.21 13:22, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hashtags can be used in addition to a good changeset comment but they
> can never replace it.

Thanks for raising this issue, I agree that comments consisting entirely
of hashtags are unhelpful. I see those quite often on changesets that
are part of humanitarian editing efforts.

In my opinion, it's the responsibility of people organized editing
campaigns to encourage good editing practices, and that includes
meaningful changeset comments.

What could help (besides better oversight over organized editing) might
be warnings in editors. At the moment, editors often show a warning when
the comment field is empty, but they tend to go away after typing a few
hashtags.