[OSM-talk] Hashtags are not sufficient changeset comments

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Sun Apr 18 20:51:22 UTC 2021

Editors like JOSM and iD add automatically Comments they receiva as part of the Task Manager url request. This is where in general the Hashtags come from. They should ask the contributor to complete by adding specific about his edition.

Pierre

    Le dimanche 18 avril 2021 15 h 39 min 55 s UTC−4, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> a écrit :

 On 18.04.21 13:22, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hashtags can be used in addition to a good changeset comment but they
> can never replace it.

Thanks for raising this issue, I agree that comments consisting entirely
of hashtags are unhelpful. I see those quite often on changesets that
are part of humanitarian editing efforts.

In my opinion, it's the responsibility of people organized editing
campaigns to encourage good editing practices, and that includes
meaningful changeset comments.

What could help (besides better oversight over organized editing) might
be warnings in editors. At the moment, editors often show a warning when
the comment field is empty, but they tend to go away after typing a few
hashtags.