[OSM-talk] Suggested mass edits

Martin Machyna machyna at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 16:19:25 UTC 2021

I looked through bunch of those, I don't now if to call it decent.

Seems the common themes are:

1. some or all member ways exist and they have tags from the relation. I
assume people were simplifying multipolygons into simple polygons/areas
and forgot to delete.

2. all ways are gone. Hard to guess, but mostly it seems like fixing old
data/imports.

3. Relation was created but never had any members. User's error.

4. lot of times original multipolygon didn't even have any other tags to
begin with and someone was fixing it by re-repurposing the ways for
something else.

5. for turn restrictions or public transport, it's hard to guess, but it
seemed those people knew what they are doing and just forgot to delete.

I'd say all are useless leftovers, but if there is still anything useful
people can keep digging through
https://storage.googleapis.com/osm_cleanup/emptyRelation.csv and
undelete the particular relation id if they want to restore the original
object.