[OSM-talk] Idle thoughts on survey

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 22:22:28 UTC 2021

For a big survey run for the first time Stats Can would sometimes run a
trial survey to test the questions and response rate.

Many of our consumers use it off line in things like OSMAND, they might be
difficult to reach.

I might go so far as to extend the survey time and make something available
that can be answered off line and emailed back.  Keep these responses
separate by all means but it does give those with a less than ideal
internet connection more of a chance.

Spreading the word through social media groups will give you a bias towards
those who use social media groups which is why a sample file can give you
more accurate results.

You are talking about sampling a wide range of people.  Using a trial
survey might demonstrate the terms you use may not be understood by all.
Not everyone has a PhD in mapping so I really would suggest running it by a
technical writer without a background in mapping.  You might be surprised
by which terms and concepts are not understood.

Best of luck.

Cheerio John