[OSM-talk] OSMF 2021 Survey is activated: please take the survey!

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jan 17 10:51:03 UTC 2021

Here are questions. If you want to answer them, please use

https://osmf.limequery.org/281662?lang=en (or other language variant)

Warning: back button is not working, there is no way to get back
to view older answers or change them

Note: there are also notes and additional explanation, I have not
copied them. Purpose of this email is to give overview of answers asked
and to allow people decide whatever spending time on answering them is
a good idea.

initial questions are with
"On a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is strongly disagree, 2 is disagree, 3 is
neutral, 4 is agree, and 5 is strongly agree, please mark how strongly
you agree or disagree with these actions."

(1)
In 2020 the Board created a Diversity and Inclusion Special
Committee, and asked the Local Chapters and Communities Working Group
to recommend actions in response to complaints about Systemic Offensive
Behavior in the OSM Community.

(2)
In 2020 the Board began raising funds via large donations to cover
projected increased costs of maintaining the platform (hardware,
software, personnel) in the face of rapidly growing demand for OSM
data.

(3)
In 2020 the Board began funding small-scale, one-time, limited-scope,
short-term projects to improve existing software products that are
considered core to OSM:  Nominatim, osm2pgsql, and Potlatch. These
products had previously been maintained wholly by volunteers.

(4)
In 2020 the Board voted to take over the cost of a single software
developer for maintaining the default iD editor from a private firm
that had been funding the position, thereby shifting control of iD
maintenance from a third party to the OSM community.

(5)
In 2020 the Board began funding microgrants for one-off projects.

---
end of 1 to 5

(6)
Optional:  Please use this text box to comment on any decisions made in
2020 by the Board of Directors of the OSM Foundation.

(7)
In 2021, what do you think should be the priority order of tasks the
Board of Directors has set for itself?  Please rank the tasks in order
of relative importance to the OSM project.

- Attribution guidelines
- Takeover protection
- Stability of the core infrastructure (hardware, software, human
  capital)
- Brexit
- Outreach to Local Chapters and Communities
- Fun-raising
- Recruitment for Working Groups

(8)
Some OSM community members favor use of artificial intelligence and
machine learning tools to assist mapping.  Others oppose use of these
tools.  The Board of Directors of the OpenStreetMap Foundation has
taken no position on the matter since such a decision would likely
violate the core principle that the Board does not tell anyone how to
map or what to map.  Should the Board...

...continue to take no position (i.e., leave the issue to local
communities), since the Foundation tells nobody what or how to map?

...adopt a policy formally approving artificial intelligence/machine
learning tools (blanket approval)?

...adopt a policy formally approving artificial intelligence/machine
learning tools but only if local communities agree?

...adopt a policy banning artificial intelligence/machine learning
tools?

No opinion

(9)
Some OSM community members think the Board should fund change of the
map displayed on openstreetmap.org from raster tiles to vector tiles.
Bearing in mind the potential cost of such an undertaking, and the
possible impact on the OSM ecosystem, in your opinion the Board
should...

...do nothing in this regard.
...encourage volunteers to create vector tiles for openstreetmap.org,
but nothing more. ...pay developers to create vector tiles for
openstreetmap.org, but in a manner calculated not to compete with
commercial developers. ...pay developers to create vector tiles
calculated to demonstrate the full breadth of OSM data. No opinion

(10)
Optional:  Please use this text box to comment on anything additional
you think the Board of Directors ought to know.

(11)
May we share (anonymously, of course) your comments with the
OpenStreetMap community?

(12)
Optional Demographic:  Are you a member of...
a working group
the OpenStreetMap Foundation
a local chapter
a local community without chapter status
a corporate sponsor of OSM
a commercial company using OSM data
a non-profit organization using OSM data

(13)
Optional Demographic: Are you a...
mapper
communicator
data user
developer / maintainer
event organizer
hardware / systems operator
Optional Demographic: Are you a...
Other

(14)
Optional Demographic: How long have you been involved in the OSM
project?

less than 1 year
from 1 to 5 years
from 5 to 10 years
from 10 to 15 years
more than 15 years

(15)
Optional Demographic:  What is your gender?
Female
Male
Non-binary

(16)
Optional Demographic: In what country are you located (please click on
the country on the map)?

At this point there is "Submit" button. I have not clicked it.

Jan 17, 2021, 09:48 by mdeen at xs4all.nl: