[OSM-talk] Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Jan 23 21:01:50 UTC 2021

Jan 23, 2021, 21:15 by simon at poole.ch:

> Am 23.01.2021 um 13:13 schrieb Yves:
>

>> Le 23 janvier 2021 11:20:19 GMT+01:00, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> a écrit :
>>
>>> I don't quite understand why, outside of a specialized keyboard, you are
>>> reinventing the wheel
>>>
>> The pleasure of building something from the ground up, joy of developing an App, maybe?
>> I hope you did not forgot it, Simon.
>> A wealthy environment should be more welcoming to new players.
>> Yves
>>

> There are
>
> - limited edits to go around
>
> - limited developer time to go around
>
> - limited user interest and attention.
>
> The more fragmented the OSM app market place the more and more difficult it gets to have a viable number of users, yes every new app takes away edits from the existing  apps

It is partially true, but not universal. I definitely made many edits with Vespucci that I
would never bother in make-notes-and-edit-with-JOSM model and many edits with
StreetComplete that would be never done with Vespucci.

And it kind of assumes that developer time holds constant no matter the projects.

Also, some diversity is useful. Otherwise "all developers work on JOSM or iD"
would be the optimal development strategy right now.

And at least in some cases it is not "improving widely used software vs making personal
pet project" but "making personal pet project vs spending time on $USELESS_ACTIVITY"

>  And while you could admire people that carry on maintaining an app for 40 users, there is no denying that it doesn't make sense for OSM as a whole at all.

I maintain app for 1 person (StreetComplete fork) and I consider it well spend time
that is even time-efficient given editing that I am doing :)

> This is not an argument against change and improvements, but about leaving ones ego aside and investing the time and effort in to bettering existing applications. BTW just as I did when I decided to invest time in to improving an existing app, instead of creating a new one.

BTW, thanks for that! Vespucci is really useful.

> This doesn't apply just to editing software, it is (somewhat driven by the nature of OSM and historically little central software development) rampant all over the place, for example notoriously geocoding software where there seems to be at leas a couple of new entrants every year which then go away again just as fast.

And to be clear I agree that OSM ecosystem would benefit from
more people going "lets improve existing project".