[OSM-talk] Fix maritime borders of Ceuta and Melilla (Spain)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 13:44:04 UTC 2021

On 12/01/2021 14:43, Alejandro Moreno wrote:
> A few years ago there was a decision about the maritime borders of
> Ceuta and Melilla (Spanish cities surrounded by Morocco) and it was
> settled at
> https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=606038#p606038
> <https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=606038#p606038>

To be clear, that forum thread wasn't primarily about the _maritime_
borders but about the status of the _land_.  I do agree that a
discussion about the meritime borders makes sense though.

> Nowadays relation are erased and now the maritime borders look bad at
> OSM as the area belonging to Spain does not appear on the map and
> "territorial waters" aren't in the relation of Spain border. The
> commentary on
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/49804213#map=8/35.315/-1.862
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/49804213#map=8/35.315/-1.862>
> explains why the waters of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish territory.

Of the two sites referenced there, http://www.gibnet.com/fish/waters.htm
does not mention Ceuta and Melilla at all - it merely states the UK
claim re Gribraltar that British Sovereignty of Gibraltar's "land
territory" entitles it to Sovereignty of "a sea belt adjacent to its
coast.".

It would be good to see a visualisation of what the other site,
https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/maritime-boundaries#tab-gis-data
, covers and what the claim actually is.

Missing in all this is the position of Morocco - can anyone point to a
statement there?

Best Regards,

Andy (from the DWG)