[OSM-talk] Highway access on hospital grounds

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 08:52:12 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 5 Jul 2021, at 08:44, Marco Rossi <mar7.lun2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Should the highways on a public hospital grounds (footways, etc) have
> access=*, maybe access=destination or access=permissive? The idea is
> to prohibit routing through a hospital that has multiple entrances,

the appropriate tags depend on the situation, but access=permissive is clearly wrong and would also not solve anything as it is treated like yes.

Access=destination might be correct, I generally map the entrance gates and lift gates, and often there are speed limits like 5, 10 or 20km/h which are quite relevant for routing and might be sufficient to prevent routers from choosing a shortcut. For bicycles and pedestrians I would think they would usually prefer to shortcut through hospital grounds if this is shorter. Although often not public roads (or with limited access for motor vehicles), it is typically legal (where I am aware of) to use these ways as a passage, so destination would not hit it.

Cheers Martin