[OSM-talk] Highway access on hospital grounds

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 20:01:12 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 5 Jul 2021, at 18:45, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>
> Let's consider a shopping center (buildings, parkings), privately
> owned, with shops that intend to have the public visit and buy things.
> That's not access=yes, formally.  Really it fits our permissive
> definition, but we tag it as yes, because it is really really rare to be
> told to leave, unless you are doing something like trying to organize
> workers into a union or sell stuff out of your car etc.   But if you are
> just passing through it's ok in practice.
>
> What we don't have is "access=well_behaving_public" which means that no
> one has a *right* of acess, but that the entity in control intends to
> broadly allow the public as long as they behave reasonably.  So far we
> leave it access=yes and pretty much nothing bad happens.

I am not sure if behaving well is sufficient. Sure, if you don’t behave well you’ll also be kicked out, but if you look like homeless and not interested or capable of buying something, chances are not bad that the private security will not let you in or ask you to leave when you sit down. IMHO it is important to make the distinction of actually public and customers welcome but not really public.

Cheers Martin