[OSM-talk] Tracking the editing time

Alexander Zatko alexander.zatko at freemap.sk
Fri Jul 9 15:40:11 UTC 2021

Trying to re-send my answer to Oliver’s question (after changing my SMTP server). Let’s see if it goes through. I apologize for the late reply.

Alexander

Begin forwarded message:

From: Alexander Zatko <alexander.zatko at freemap.sk>
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Tracking the editing time
Date: 5 July 2021 at 18:12:41 CEST
To: Oliver Simmons <oliversimmo at gmail.com>

Good question. Verifying can indeed be a chore, but it can be made bearable. Verifying a report created by the plugin today is done by a Rovas-selected user who is invited to do so by an email. Every report contains a link to a web site, where the verifier can see the changes made. Currently it is a page in the achavi app showing the created changeset. The user is expected to check the edits on that page and make a judgement whether they could have been made in the reported time, then go to the Rovas page where they can verify the report.

The verification process can and will be made simpler. There can be a box/widget presented next to, or integrated into the achavi or osmcha aps where the verifier will see and verify the report directly (no need to go to Rovas). I also expect people over time to stop sending multiple JOSM jobs in a day and combine editing sessions into one or so to reduce their verification duties. This process can be made simpler also by a planned feature of the plugin that will persist editing time across JOSM restarts. More ideas can be probably explored.

Verifiers are picked by Rovas algorithm, which uses the NACE category a work report is filed under and merit score of a potential verifier in an attempt to always select “an expert” in the field of the report to be verified. So osm mapper should be asked to verify reports only from other mappers and not from say wikipedia editors.