[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jul 11 22:33:27 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 7/10/21 14:56, Li Yaqo wrote:
> Solution 1:
> Keep the tags without changing.

I think this would be difficult to justify.

> Solution 2:
> Change the 'name tag to have both languages at the same time
> (This means we change only the 'name' tag by adding the Iranian name
> alongside the already existing one)
>
> The tags will be like this:
> ______________________
> Name= الخليج العربي / خليج فارس
> Name:en= Persian Gulf
> Name:ar= الخليج العربي
> Name:fa= خليج فارس

With a potential addition of "alt_name:en=Arabian Gulf", this sounds
like a workable solution *if* all local communities involved are ok with
it. Of course we can never be sure that there won't be an individual
wanting to "correct" the issue, but if the solution has a large backing
of the relevant communities, we could hope that whoever disregards the
compromise will be told of by their own peers rather than by people from
a different country.

> There was an opinion that was discussed which is removing the 'name' tag
> entirely. This is not a solution,

True, but this is what the DWG will likely be doing if the local
communities involved cannot agree - because "no name" is better than a
constant edit war.

Bye
Frederik