[OSM-talk] Review of name and boundary tagging - revised and amended guidelines to address and resolve disputes

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Mon Jul 12 08:40:39 UTC 2021

On Monday 12 July 2021, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I object to the suggested *approach* because [...]
>
> I object to the suggested *proposal* because [...]

Not to mention the fact that this is completely at odds with OSM being a
decentralized global project of people who largely don't share a common
language.

And the fact that this is completely at odds with the core principle of
mapping in OSM - verifiability[1] and would import us all of the
problems of Wikipedia with the constant struggle for opinion leadership
and selective presentation of reliable sources(tm) - as we could all
vitness in the course of this overlong thread.

> Name= الخليج العربي / خليج فارس
> Name:en= Persian Gulf
> Name:ar= الخليج العربي
> Name:fa= خليج فارس

Some might be astonished but i think this would probably not be such a
bad idea.  It would after all demonstrate once and for all that the
name tag in OSM no more represents a meaningful single name but is in
fact a label tag used by mappers to hand paint labels in maps.  Having
this as a honeypot in the OSM database for those who don't want to
accept the principle of verifiability could actually be a workable
solution (though kind of instable and wasteful in the long term for
sure).  It might get us closer to an actual solution to the name
tagging problem[2]. ;-)

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Verifiability
[2]
http://blog.imagico.de/you-name-it-on-representing-geographic-diversity-in-names/