[OSM-talk] Review of name and boundary tagging - revised and amended guidelines to address and resolve disputes

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Tue Jul 13 13:47:32 UTC 2021

W dniu 13.07.2021 o 13:55, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal pisze:

> Most principles have constraints, even those in OSM. Like for example
> "the freedom of speech" has a constraint when it comes to the
> targetted use or expression of racism, incitement of violence, sexual,
> religious exclusion etc....

Thanks, this is an important caution IMO. Please keep in mind that
verifiability is not more "core rule" than multiple others collected in
"good practices" category:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice

And we even have it clearly expressed there:

These "Good Practices" are guidelines that will increase the quality and
value of our map data without any additional effort. Nobody is forced to
obey them. *There might be cases where these guidelines don't apply, or
even contradict each other. *

Also "OSM data should, *as far as is reasonably possible*, be
verifiable" does not sound like "core" requirement - even in cases where
other "rules" are not clashing. And when they do, there's no meta-rule
that verifiability is the most important among them.

It's good to follow guidelines and good practices, but there's a triple
bias:

- to cite only one of them and calling it a "rule"

- treating it as absolute

- assuming it's winning every other aspect.

Please, stay away from this bias and let's read the actual content of
documentation, not just the headlines, even if this is tempting to simplify.

--
"Holy mother forking shirt balls!" [E. Shellstrop]