[OSM-talk] Streetcomplete and Geographically Large Changesets

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Jul 26 09:29:08 UTC 2021

Jul 26, 2021, 10:37 by simon at poole.ch:

> Am 26.07.2021 um 00:21 schrieb ndrw6:
>
>> On 25/07/2021 21:15, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
>>

>>> If someone wants full-scale OSM editor with full access to all data on Android then I recommend Vespucci.
>>>

>> Thanks. I tried it too. Vespucci is a fine full-featured editor for Android but it isn't really designed for mapping on the go. At least I wasn't able to use it for this purpose. It is more a replacement for jOSM for people with tablets instead of PCs.
>>

> I kind of dispute that :-).
>
> It would be good if you could provide specific feedback what doesn't/didn't work for you on the Vespucci issue tracker https://github.com/MarcusWolschon/osmeditor4android/issues (pls indicate the version you were using).

I am using it on regular smartphone and I really like it.

Thanks for it, it freed me from making paper notes then
throwing away most of them without using what I made.

Though I know people who tried it and failed, all cited overloaded
and confusing interface. And typical summary was "it is
attempt to fit JOSM in smartphone".

Especially initial startup after the first install has very confusing
screen with space for manual coordinate input, ability to search
for location by name (with dropdown for Photon/Nominatim).

Why not just zoom to current location?
Or have a big button "edit in my current location"
that would zoom in and download data in one click.

What is the difference between "load" and "go to map"?
Why selecting "current location" is not doing anything
(I need to also click one of the buttons)
Why "current location" and "last known location" even
bother to show lat/lon?

I would consider seriously simplifying this form,
I am not surprised if many people would fail to
ever download data after installing.

(made a similar comment in
https://github.com/MarcusWolschon/osmeditor4android/issues/899#issuecomment-886530450
)