[OSM-talk] Mechanical Edit?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jul 27 06:42:12 UTC 2021

Jul 27, 2021, 06:20 by tomasstraupis at gmail.com:

> 2021-07-27, an, 04:33 Casper Kersten rašė:
>
>>> If you think that a simple search-and-replace is a good idea – then leave your hands off it and
>>> let someone fix it who has the time and energy to do it properly.
>>>

>> DWG member or not, what counts as “proper fixing” is not for you, but for the community
>> to determine.
>>

> 1. There is no way to determine what community thinks (talk list
> does NOT represent whole community, wiki is even further - it
> represents opinion of a few).

There is no way to do it fully and definitely, but in many cases we need to live with
some approximation.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct is
current description

Or we can decide to stop making any decisions at all until we develop
community-wide telepathy and mind-reading.

>  2. I totally agree with Frederik that all semi-automated
> "improvements" without proper one-by-one analysis are bad.

Not all of them.

> Changing
> without understanding the context will be reducing the quality of the
> data. I've seen tons of new people thinking that they would run
> several automated "updates" and will "fix" the data - none were
> successful, most were damaging and their changes had to be reverted.

Oh I agree here, definitely not a good task for someone new.