[OSM-talk] Automatic problem fixing is an automated edit

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 30 16:09:52 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 7/30/21 15:51, Casper Kersten wrote:
> So the community has to ask for your permission each time we press
> ctrl+F?

"My" permission would be useless; if you're doing something that
requires prior discussion with the community, that means the community
active in the region where you're planning to make the edit, not one
random guy in Germany.

As for whether or not "pressing Ctrl+F" is something that does require
prior discussion with the community, you'd have to explain what exactly
you mean by that - different editors have different shortcut keys - and
what data set you would be loading into your editor.

A good test question that you can ask yourself is: Is it possible that
what I'm doing here makes me the last person to touch an implausibly and
obviously buggy thing - like perhaps an ATM at the coordinates 0;0 or a
house on the surface of a lake? If yes, then that means I am about to
edit things outside of my direct control, and that's where - generally -
the need to discuss scope and methods with others starts.

Bye
Frederik