[OSM-talk] OSMF Draft Attribution Guidelines, possible vote at end of this month & new guidelines.

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Jun 12 14:30:57 UTC 2021

I would agree that the clause is nonsense and should be removed.

If the gudelines are more strict than the licence then the OSMF is adding restrictions to the licence, which directly contradicts the licence text. If the intention is not to provide a safe harbour, then why is the OSMF working on the document in the 1st place?

Am 12. Juni 2021 14:20:56 MESZ schrieb ndrw6 <ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk>:
>I think the document should clarify its legal status more clearly and
>prominently.
>
>"Guidelines" in the title is good.
>
>The following statement in the introduction is both wrong and not
>prominent enough:
>"These guidelines are not a substitute for the legal text itself. If the
>two texts disagree, the legal text takes precedence."
>
>- It is wrong because it implies the document can augment the ODbL by
>adding clauses to it. Guidelines are simply our *interpretation* of the
>license. Our *guarantee* that conforming to these extra rules will
>automatically address attribution requirements of ODbL, no questions
>asked. Finally, our *wish* of how members of OpenStreetMap community
>should behave - while this is not a requirement it is something we look
>into account when project governance is at stake.
>
>- A statement about a legal status (after corrections) deserves its own
>section in the document, preferably before the introduction.
>
>ndrw6
>
>On 12/06/2021 12:16, R. A. McCann (OSMF Board) wrote:
>> Hello OSMers,
>>
>> The OSMF Board is considering an update to the OSMF's guideline on how to attribute OSM data. See below for details:

Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Mobiltelefon mit Kaiten Mail gesendet.