[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Fri Jun 18 07:57:45 UTC 2021

On Friday 18 June 2021, Ebrahim Nejati wrote:

> Introducing official_name:<country>:<language> is a good idea and
> could solve this dispute completely. However, the remaining question
> is how the general `name` or even `official_name` tag should be used?

Yes, and my stance has been more recently that such tags should be
abolished because they inherently encourage mappers hand drawing labels
in the map instead of documenting semantically meaningful and
verifiable names [1, 2].  Bays and straits are a great example for this
where a huge fraction of features that show up at z8 and lower in
OSM-Carto contain subjective labeling strings in the name tag rather
than a verifiable and meaningful local name.  See also [3].

[1]
http://blog.imagico.de/you-name-it-on-representing-geographic-diversity-in-names/
[2]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Default_Language_Format