[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 08:00:28 UTC 2021

Am Do., 17. Juni 2021 um 23:56 Uhr schrieb Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de
>:

> we have the 'official_name' tag - but only as a single
> tag and not differentiated by country.  You could consider introducing
> an official_name:<country>:<language> tag - then for the Persian Gulf
> you could have:
>
> official_name:sa:ar=الخليج العربي
> official_name:sa:en=Arabian Gulf
> official_name:ir:ar=خلیج فارس
> official_name:ir:en=Persian Gulf

I believe this is a reasonable suggestion and integrates well with the
overall system, with the minor nitpick that country names should get
uppercase abbreviations, e.g.
official_name:SA:ar=...

Not sure we "need" the language code. As you wrote, the names would be
prescripted in those countries for any language, and many countries only
have one official language, for all those cases it seems save to assume
that the official name is in the official language, i.e.
official_name:SA=...

What do you think?

Btw., the wikipedia project seems to be less useful for cases like this,
there is not a single mention of خلیج فارس in the whole article about
الخليج العربي
https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D9%84%D9%8A%D8%AC_%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A8%D9%8A
(although there is a redirect from the Iranian name)