[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 05:21:25 UTC 2021

Re: " the name tag is "الخليج العربي" which is the official name that's
used in the 7 countries that surround the gulf. Except for Iran."

But note that the population of Iran is larger than the population of all
the other countries in the Arabian peninsula combined.

In most parts of the world this body of water is known as the Persian Gulf
or an equivalent local term, since this was the historic name in all
Arab-speaking countries until recently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Gulf#Name - and also see the long
article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Gulf_naming_dispute