[OSM-talk] Creating a multipolygon encompassing Black Sea

Saeed Hubaishan سعيد حبيشان hubaishan at outlook.sa
Tue Jun 22 14:07:04 UTC 2021

Hi,

Tagging seas as multipolygon has good benefits some renderers but the
name of the sea in any viewed part of this sea. So you are not compelled
to navigate the middle of  the sea to know his name. This is an easy
process for the renderer it looks up for a sea relation where the
coastline is member of it and put the name from the relation on the
right side of coastline.

But when there are difficulties of large sea I suggest new key for
coastline will named "sea_label" this key must refer to the node id of
the sea so the renderer will get main of benefits of sea relation. With
less maintain and less DWG headache.

Someone may say it may be difficult to beginner users to get sea node id
but editors can put all nearby sea in a drop down menu to easy selecting
as they translate most key values to user language.

I send this massage also to tagging mail list.

على ١٠/١١/٤٢ ‫١٢:٢٢ م، كتب Mateusz Konieczny via talk:
> +1, it would be a nightmare to maintain
>
> For such massive objects with complicated naming situation,
> often uncertain borders (maybe not a large problem for Black Sea),
> where local knowledge, manual survey are not contributing much
> their value in OpenStreetMap is dubious.
>
> It will produce mainly edit conflicts, broken relation, naming disputes,
> (see Persian Gulf thread happening right now), confusing rendering
> in editors (especially iD).
>

> Jun 20, 2021, 07:07 by joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com:
>
>     I also think it is a bad idea to map this or other seas as a
>     multipolygon.
>
>     - Joseph Eisenberg
>
>     On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 8:57 AM mappinglander
>     <mappinglander at gmail.com <mailto:mappinglander at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>         I actually thought about creating a multipolygon for Black
>         Sea, for helping to data consumers and therefore visualizing
>         more easily by creating a multipolygon for Black Sea, which is
>         currently tagged as a node at
>         https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7015642404
>         <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7015642404>
>
>         I think this can be done very easily, like the one for Caspian
>         Sea <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3987743> or Aegean
>         Sea <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4594226>. About
>         naming, I am going to follow the same convention done at
>         Caspian Sea: putting a name that encompasses all of the
>         official languages of countries neighbouring to Black Sea.
>         About the complexity of multipolygon, I think it will not be
>         more complex than the Aegean Sea or the Caspian Sea. Also,
>         while uploading, I am going to divide the upload to chunks via
>         JOSM.
>
>         The reasons for writing that to talk mailinglist is getting
>         input from the community about whether the multipolygon should
>         be created or not as the multipolygon covers a big area, or
>         should I do any kind of corrections while uploading.
>
>         Feedback is very much appreciated.

Saeed Hubiashan
https://github.com/hubaishan
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/حبيشان