[OSM-talk] [Mecanical Edit] change (depreciated) amenity=embassy into (approved) office=diplomatic + diplomatic=embassy

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 13:27:52 UTC 2021

Am Di., 9. März 2021 um 14:09 Uhr schrieb Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com>:

> Hello,
>
> in 2018, we collectively approved [1] the depreciation of the
> amenity=embassy tag and approved office=diplomatic diplomatic=embassy
>
> I propose this mecanical edition to convert the remaining objects.
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/office=diplomatic

are you going to set up a voting page? Is this post meant to be an RFC, or
is it still in an early consultation phase?
FWIW, as the tagging was approved through voting, and people have actively
removed the amenity=embassy tag by 2 thirds since then:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=embassy#chronology

I support this automated edit as it makes no sense to keep so few duplicate
alternatives.

In general, I still believe it would have been better to consolidate on 2
or 3 main tags for amenity (embassy and consulate, and maybe diplomatic
with subtagging for the rest like liaison offices or representations of
unrecognized states), rather than continuing the key bloat, and use
subtagging for the detail (which kind of consulate for example) as we now
have basically a binary key
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/diplomatic#values diplomatic with a
long tail, and if you do a database import with osm2pgsql with the standard
settings, you will not be able to distinguish any of these, unless you use
hstore. I was thinking about suggesting the addition of "diplomatic" to the
default.style (
https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/blob/master/default.style ) but
refrained from it, because of the low usage numbers.

Cheers
Martin