[OSM-talk] Racist, insulting and abusive comments on OSM related channels

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 20:29:52 UTC 2021

Dear all,

This is a call to our whole community,

I have become only recently active on OSM's community channels. I am
very welcomed, respected on the various talk pages, and I appreciate that.
The past month I have been following different alternative channels,
Telegram groups, WhatsApp groups, and... Discord.
All of them using the OSM name, which for me stands as a quality mark,
not just as a trade mark. Being channels that respect, values and
understands different cultures, different opinions, promotes decent and
democratic principles, respect the "etiquette" required of calling
yourself an OSM contributor, a member of this community.

However, what I see on Discord, all under the OSM trade name, sorry for
the word... is disgusting.
Whole communities being insulted (words I don't even dare to use),
remarks of non-English communities making "dumb" remarks, vote lobbying
for and against proposals because they are made by "another" countries
community member, it's nearing to hate speech... really disgusting.

The ones who are on these channels know who and what I am talking about,
I kindly ask you, stop this please.  This is not welcome, highly
inappropriate and not how you communicate with your fellow human beings,
your fellow OSM contributor. Stop, go and look in the mirror, and ask
yourself what am I doing, is this how I want to be known in a worldwide
peaceful community ?

I didn't file a compliant at the DWG, I didn't call this subject to be
handled in the OSMF board (yet), I first call in this channel, and
everyone who experiences the same, feels the same discussed, speak out,
comment on this channel, because I don't want to be associated with a
channel that uses the OSM name where by some, not all not the majority,
but some, disguise and dis-value what we stand for.
And please, don't call names in your comments, it's not limited to
people from one country particular, one community. Just express your
concerns, and when this behaviour doesn't change, we as a community can
and will take action, identify the malicious minds and practices, and
remand or ban them. Let your comment be their first warning.

Kind regards,

Bert Araali