[OSM-talk] Racist, insulting and abusive comments on OSM related channels

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 13:43:26 UTC 2021

Hello all,

Sorry for the somewhat delayed reply, I needed a break since this was
keeping me busy the whole night.

I was not directed there through the "OSM Community Index", I do think
we should list all channels there, including and undiscriminating non
open sources as there are many.
In case a community member feels offended or notices other community
members being offended, who for whatever reason don't want or wish to
speak out, then I do support the general policy of consultation,
creating awareness and if that doesn't bring any change in the
behaviour, reporting to the DWG and/or the board so they can sanction
them accordingly.

In the case of the OpenStreetMap World server, I was just observing, not
participating in any conversation. As it carries the OpenStreetMap brand
name, see if it really acts and actively values the OSM community.  Most
other non open source channels do seem to achieve this, lets call them
by name, Telegram Groups, WhatsApp groups do this, Facebook I don't
know, since I didn't observe it yet.
As an observer, I personally was not targetted by any of the comments,
in the contrary, in some messages my name and my personal opinions
respected and referenced.

Unfortunately, you have to join the group to be able to read what is
going on there. There is a limited group of OSM members, active on this
DIscord Server, under the same or similar names as on OSM, that seem to
find this channel appropriate to undermine our community guidelines,
like the Organised Editing Guidelines, actively soliciting for organised
edits to justify or promote proposals etc... . An issue that already was
brought up in this forum with the necessary drama. Issues, that can, in
a decent dialogue, should be able to be resolved, if necessary with
consultation of the DWG.

This doesn't however address the inappropriate language used by some,
which seems to gain support from newcomers.  And to Mateusz, I would
like to say, posting a message here to direct OSM contributors to
determine themselves if what is happening there is non acceptable, is
promoting this channel, but feel free if you feel like you want to
connect your name to it and promote it...,

Some of the messages I've seen there have been removed, but after "the
harm was already done".  Justifications and actions by users and the
moderators , came after my message on this forum as it is bridged to
DIscord,
I leave out the most extreme examples as it helps no one to be repeated,
they contain "historic" references and terms, aiming at certain
countries and communities and religions, which are not acceptable,
actively acted against by the UN and the global community.
But for those interested some of the less graving messages are literally
quoted here:
"Shrubs is dumb, but otherwise I agree it's minor"
"That's why we need mob rule to fix tagging."
"All micromapping seems overly complicated to me, but there's some
Hungarian college kid that will do it."

I know, as the moderators say, all not so extreme, but I, personally,
got more and more agitated, also by the comments after my compliant by
some of the moderators that in their opinion it is not that bad.... This
is where it starts, where is the end ?  When do you act.  I also didn't
contact the moderators their in the first place since some of them seem
to practice and support the same tone in their dialogues, I couldn't or
didn't determine if some of the abusers are the moderators.

To conclude this mail, I do think as an OSM community we should react.
The channel is using the OSM name, actively uses and links direct to
OSM, engages and recruits OSM members, so they should be treated as
local chapters acting on social media, with proper attribution and
acceptance of their code of conduct and handling abuses by the DWG and
our board.

They invited me to discuss it publicly on their forum, I will, I will
ventilate my personal objections, and how this behaviour and language
makes me think twice again, to put on an OSM T shirt or hat, I don't
like to be referenced as representing and promoting this, even if it is
just a small group amongst an otherwise great open community.

Thank you for taking your time to read this,

Bert Araali