[OSM-talk] You are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”

Sören Reinecke tilmanreinecke at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 16 13:32:21 UTC 2021

I will write a proposal summarizing the arguments.

*A reminder & appeal to everyone here:*
Under which wiki page should this be put? Because we need to speak to a
wider audience. I feel some think they know what developers need to do
in order to be able to use OSM data. This is not the healthiest way of
thinking because OSM itself relieves heavily on developers and the OSM
community wants them to use OSM data. OSM cannot make it to the
Mainstream without them. Developers develop the software end users use
to e.g. find their places, navigate through public transport etc. which
in turn do not even realize where the data comes from. So the OSM
community needs developers and throwing out sentences which are totally
wrong do not help that much. Don't yell out that you don't know how
things should work without having any or just basic database experience,
please don't yell out how programs should work without knowing the
concepts of computer programming (see also theoretical informatic which
deals with such kind of questions). So please start listening to other
folks. Let us use the expertise of each other e.g. mappers know to map,
developers know how to develop, database developers know how a database
should be as UX/UI designers know what non-OSM/Techies need in order to
be able to use a particular app/website (this was another topic in talk-de).

At the end of this lines I have one question and I am explicitly asking
you as mappers: Where is the right place to put such a proposal in? I
ask you explicitly because I know you know how the structure in the wiki
should be and I respect your choices & recommendations as I expect you
respecting my statement (based on experience) that not having a kind of
"banned features" due to deprecation is evil for such a project like
OpenStreetMap and makes the database less useful to us.

Thanks & Cheerio

S??ren Reinecke alias Valor Naram