[OSM-talk] You are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”

Jannis Achstetter krippi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 21:41:02 UTC 2021

I tend to agree with what Roland Olbricht wrote.

However, I would like to answer to the "roadmap" below. Yes, the
majority of people don't care what Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Google, bla,
bla are doing. I do care. I don't use Facebook and WhatsApp, I don't
have any closed-source Google-Apps on my Smartphone and it's my choice
not to use Apple's products.

It's not always true that a minority cannot change anything. As you
said, OSM "creators" / "contributors" might not be too many people. But
think about how the world of open map data would look like if OSM had
not been started in the first place.

And this is why I want OSM to be as open as possible. I do want to be
able to invent tags that no one yet uses. This is how OSM started: There
were no rules on which tags exist. People started inventing them
whenever they thought it makes sense to have this information in OSM.
And slowly, schemes and "most commonly used tags" were worked out. If
someone wants to tag feature XYZ in the future, let them :) Even if this
information is not used at the moment, we might be happy to have it at
some point of time.

	Jannis