[OSM-talk] Copyright page vs Contributors page

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sun Mar 28 10:33:06 UTC 2021

Currently,
the attribution "OpenStreetMap contributors" typically links to
   -> https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright
      which has a section "Our contributors".

This section quietly says "thousands of individuals", followed by a
prominent bullet list with eleven countries and some of their public data sources.

At the bottom of this section is a quiet link to the Contributors page
   -> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors
      which then comes with the long list of institutional contributors.

That feels significantly imbalanced to me, and why are those 11 countries named so prominently?

My suggestion would be, on the copyright page:

- remove those 11 country-specific bullets
- check that the entries are included on the contributors page of course
- rewrite the section so it has just two equally prominent bullets:

   * thousands (or hundreds of thousands??) individuals: the OpenStreetMap community
   * openly-licenced data from various sources as listed on the Contributors page

tom