[OSM-talk] Joint statement from Quincy Morgan and the OpenStreetMap Foundation’s Board, regarding iD development

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Mon May 3 19:51:23 UTC 2021

On 27.04.21 21:05, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
> Are there plans to find maintainer who would be taking care of iD
> without expectation of
> full time development?

We are open to multiple options, including a full-time maintainer or
several part-time people – we would make this dependent, in part, on
what arrangements potential candidates are interested in. (Check my
recent my message to osmf-talk as well.)

If the goal would be just to bridge the time until we have found a
candidate (or candidates), I'm not sure someone who isn't already
actively working on iD core code to ramp up quickly enough for this to
be practical. As you say, the situation may be different for the
auxiliary repositories:

> Also maybe a separate maintainer for
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/id-tagging-schema
> would make sense and make easier to find full time developer for iD?

Personally, I feel it could make a lot of sense to give commit rights to
existing volunteer contributors of such repositories, both to reduce
disruption until a replacement for Quincy has been found (by preventing
a backlog of issues and PRs from building up) and to perhaps to continue
assisting the future maintainer.