[OSM-talk] problem with HOT mapping in Niger

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun May 9 17:08:43 UTC 2021

On project 10645 the instructions are:

*For this project we will use the following categories:*

  *

    *Within a village or residential area*use "Residential Road" (in ID
    Editor) and "highway=residential" (in JOSM)

  *

    *For driveable roads/tracks outside residential areas* use
    "unmaintained track road" (in ID Editor) and "highway=track" (in JOSM)

  *

    *For non driveable paths (less than 1m wide)*use "path" (in ID
    Editor) and "highway=path" in JOSM)

Which has resulted in many highways being reclassified to highway=track.

The concerns are first older mapping which has followed the Highway Tag
Africa - OpenStreetMap Wiki
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa> have been
retagged incorrectly.

Second how many other HOT projects have the same instructions?

My understanding was that HOT now has training for people who create
projects.  Am I incorrect?

It has training for those who validate, the main validator on the
project seems to be someone who has been changing the tags.  Again I
thought there was training for validators and every validator on the
project has let this through?

How many new mappers now have the wrong instructions fixed in their head?

Third how should it be cleaned up?

This probably should be posted on the HOT mailing list but I've lost my
link to it.

Cheerio John

--
Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>