[OSM-talk] Mass-replace outdated water=salt

Andrew Hain andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 12:48:09 UTC 2021

Are the ones in New Mexico similar?

--
Andrew
________________________________
From: Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com>
Sent: 10 November 2021 23:50
To: Emil Linus Albrecht <admin at sandschmecktgut.de>
Cc: Andrew Hain <andrewhainosm at hotmail.co.uk>; Talk OSM <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Mass-replace outdated water=salt

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 1:39 PM Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com<mailto:miketho16 at gmail.com>> wrote:
2) Salt water in Colorado? This seems a little unlikely.  I downloaded some of the NHD and I can't see how the original importer determined that these were salt water.  There is a possible ftype in the NHD for estuary which would imply salt water, but the features I looked at didn't have this ftype.  A mass mechanical edit may simply perpetuate bad data here.

 In Colorado there are ~4,445 objects in the OSM database with water=salt. All but two of them are intermittent bodies of water and those two were originally intermittent in the NHD import, but were subsequently edited. I suspect that the original importer made the assumption that intermittent implied salt water, or perhaps intermittent plus some other condition, such as no draining perennial waterway.  In any event, I don't think this is a valid assumption.  Rather than a mechanical edit, a better option might be to create a map roulette challenge.

Mike