[OSM-talk] Proposed bulk removal of service=driveway2

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sat Sep 3 08:38:13 UTC 2022

Should the nearly 10,000 occurrences of the service=driveway2 tag be
(re)removed in a bulk edit?

Background
----------

For several years, the tag service=driveway2 occasionally appeared in
the database due to a usability issue in iD: users would type "driveway"
into the Service Road preset's Type field but forget to click outside
the field before pressing <2> to draw a new line.

In 2020, a mapper coined a new definition for service=driveway. In the
last two years, they've systematically applied it to about 10,000 ways
in Japan and Singapore. [1] They documented the tag on the wiki as a
non-regional tag, though the page has since seen some back-and-forth
with other mappers (including myself) who disagree with it. [2] Based on
the tag's prevalence, JOSM's developers are considering how to handle
the tag. [3]

As far as I know, the proponent of this tag has not solicited feedback
on this tag through the wiki's feature proposal process, any OSM mailing
list or forum, or the customary communication channels used by the
affected local communities. However, the tag has been discussed in
several venues on- and off-wiki. I think it's fair to say the consensus
was clearly against it in these discussions. [4][5][6] Previous
discussions on the tagging list have affirmed that service=* should be
omitted from the affected ways. [7]

Several days ago, there was an attempt to remove occurrences of this tag
all at once. However, it was reverted upon the request of the DWG, which
wanted a prior discussion about the mechanical edit. [8] Since the
proponent of the tag has not taken the step of consulting the community,
despite multiple requests, I am doing so on their behalf.

Rationale
---------

I believe a bulk tag deletion is justified in this case. It has been
noted that some data consumers treat highway=service without service=*
differently than highway=service with service=*. The prevalence of this
tag also creates confusion among mappers by appearing in taginfo-powered
suggestion lists alongside service=driveway. As I understand it, the tag
in its current usage is tantamount to service=yes, making a bare
highway=service the only straightforward replacement.

Allowing service=driveway2 to stand in the database creates a precedent
that a single mapper can unilaterally introduce a tag that conflicts
with a longstanding tagging convention (highway=service without
service=*) and force the community to accept it as a de facto tagging
convention, despite strong misgivings against it, without any attempt to
establish consensus. "Any tags you like" is not an absolute right for
someone with ample leisure time to cause disruption in the project.

Proposal
--------

Remove every occurrence of the service=driveway2 tag, leaving the ways
themselves intact. The proposed change can be accomplished by reverting
changeset 125711868 and editing any other service=driveway2 occurrences
that have arisen in the meantime.

I'll crosspost this discussion to the Asian and Japanese communication
channels for comment. For the avoidance of doubt, I am posting this
message in an individual capacity, not as OSMUS board member or wiki
administrator.

[1] https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1lAb
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:service%3Ddriveway2
[3] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/21396