[Tile-serving] openstreetmap-carto benchmark results

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu May 16 21:27:46 UTC 2013

> From: Kai Krueger [mailto:kakrueger at gmail.com]
> Cc: tile-serving at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Tile-serving] openstreetmap-carto benchmark results
>
> I am not entirely sure I buy your conclusion that once put on yevaud or
> orm, the difference would be more towards 12% than 22%. You cite numbers
> of 500 - 700 IOPS that are done in osm.xml. From just those numbers it
> is hard to say if the 700 IOPs are limited due to CPU or IO bandwidth
> (after all, it only has 4 cores compared to yevauds 8 - 16 (with
> hyperthreading) cores, using something like 14 render threads), but
> yevaud likely has higher IO performance (currently the numbers are ~3k/s
> average and a max of ~6k/s and it is mostly CPU bound, so probably could
> do more, even on the single old "slow" 320 SSD). Therefore my guess
> would be (although it needs closer analysis) that on yevaud or orm, you
> would see differences closer to your fully cached regime of 22%.

On the other hand, the smaller sets had an iops of 0 because the data was
all in cache because it was rendering the same tiles over and over again.
Yevaud doesn't repeat the exact same list of tiles, making me believe that
the longer list should be closer to what we'd see on it.

For reference, the smaller test a list from about 6 minutes of yevaud's logs
and the longer list about an hour.