[Tile-serving] openstreetmap-carto benchmark results

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 16 23:15:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 17.05.2013 00:10, Kai Krueger wrote:
> But either way, if we do move over to a multi server setup, it should
> give the breathing space to switch over now, while at the same time
> continuing to figure out how to regain the performance loss with carto.

Possibly stupid question since I haven't followed too closely, but have
we already established that the performance loss is something one has to
live with?

If the carto style is slower when generating the exact same images then
it must be making (even more ;)) unnecessary queries than when the XML
style is used; maybe it is possible to fix either the style or the
toolchain to avoid that? Does the benchmark perhaps offer some kind of
starting point here - can one somehow compare the database queries made
by both solutions during the test run, find out which of them differ
vastly, and then work on making them differ less?

Bye
Frederik