[Tile-serving] New option for tile server: Nginx+Tirex

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 23 16:13:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 05/23/2013 05:53 PM, Kai Krueger wrote:
> What's the advantage of talking to tirex directly, compared to using the
> mod-tile socket emulation? What should mod_tile be able to do, that it
> currently can't with the emulation layer?

One thing I always wanted to have is better control over render
priorities - i.e. having more than the 4 or 5 hard-coded priority values
in renderd. Apart from that, the Tirex protocol allows not only the
enqueuing but also the dequeuing of tiles (e.g. if the module decides
that it takes too long to render), and more precise return messages.

I also find UDP (which Tirex uses) a more elegant solution than using a
streaming socket for what *is* essentially a datagram protocol but I
guess that's a design choice.

> If the tirex protocol already provides those features, then it likely
> wouldn't be difficult to extend mod_tile to support that as well (you
> don't need to write a whole new module to add a feature... ;-)) Mod_tile
> already supports using either unix domain sockets or TCP/IP sockets to
> connect to the rendering backend.

To be quite honest, I find that mod_tile starts to support too many
features for my personal use. That was one of the reasons I was toying
with a lean mod_tirex. I don't need pluggable backends, mime types, TCP
connections to other rendering servers, and all that. I want a module
that does less, but does it well, rather than add more and more optional
functionality to mod_tile. I fear that even functionality that I do not
use will reduce the overall stability of the module.

Maybe we need a module architecture for mod_tile ^^

Bye
Frederik