[Tilesathome] Inkscape and Debian Testing.

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:04:35 BST 2007

> Hi,
>
> > In general as coverage is getting more extensive we will encounter
> > more and more z12 tiles that are indigestible.
>
> Of course if the z12 tile is indigestible even at z12 then splitting
> is not an option... but then again if we can cope with Central
> London, what is going to stop us?
>
> We could improve the tiles at home queuing mechanism so that, when
> requesting jobs, a renderer can announce whether it is able to handle
> complex tiles, and tiles at home could hand out complex tiles
> exclusively to those. Where would t at h know whether a tile is complex?
> I always wanted to have some sort of staticstics service where t at h
> clients would report an object count and other information; something
> like that could be used to hint at tile complexity.
>
> >   Perhaps we should consider rendering tilesets at z13?  What would
> > the impact be?
>
> I was hoping we would move the other way round - spaetz has started
> rendering z11 and z10 tiles in full using OSMXapi, considerably
> improving the presentation of those...

Some of the z12 tiles in my area can take a very long time to rerender.  And
I haven't added bus-stops, recycling, cycle parking, speed limits, fields,
fences, cycle routes, bus routes, etc, etc.  The density of data will
continue to grow over time as more people find more things they want to tag.

Currently a complex tile can take several attempts before it renders
successfully.  Any attempt can fail at the first post if the API times out.
It can then fail if it's been picked up by a client that doesn't have enough
memory and finally it could fail if the client doesn't have much horsepower
and gets shut-down/restarted after sweating for several hours.  So for a
complex z12 on a bad day there could be perhaps 5 or 6 attempts before it is
successfully rendered.

Also for complex tiles the changes are usually only affect a small corner of
the whole tile (say adding a few street names) and may not even be visible
at z12.

I'd certainly welcome the option to be able to request a re-render of parts
of my area for a z13 tile, if it meant that I see the result in 1 hour
instead of 4 hours.

80n

Bye