[Tilesathome] POI layer?

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Thu Sep 20 16:53:06 BST 2007

Hi all,
I added amenity=restaurant icons to z17 and ivansanchez told me the inner city of Madrid is all cluttered up now :-).
So I tried a first hack cut at a POI layer which could be used to turn on/off those icons. My experimental version can be seen here:
http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~spaetz/?lat=6024010.44819&lon=971678.04193&zoom=17&layers=00BFFFT

(It's the regular mapnik layer plus a selectable POI layer for now and only that excerpt has been rendered). This could be rendered as a selectable layer with t at h without having to download additional data from the API. The drawbacks are a) more disk space on the dev server side. b) more IO as it needs to be downloaded as extra files and c) downloaded tiles for mapping will not contain those POI by default anymore.

What do you think? Should we use that?

For now there is one modification to tilesGen needed as it ususally aborts rendering of higher zoomlevels when a lower zoomlevel is all blank (which doesn't work here as z12-16 are empty while z17 is not).

spaetz