[Tilesathome] POI layer?

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org
Thu Sep 20 17:53:13 BST 2007

El Thursday 20 September 2007 18:08:09 Dermot McNally escribió:
> The idea is sound, but the real question is whether what we need as
> _a_ POI layer or several. [...] This will either mean a lot of layering of
> map tiles (and a hell of a lot of tile rendering to support it) or a
> live-from-DB approach, which I can see being a challenge too.

There is another option: instead of using OsmaRender to render
images, ""render"" a text file that can be interpreted as a OpenLayers marker
layer. In fact, we should only need such a file per level 12 tile.

The computing time (and output files) for such a task should be small enough
to not be a problem, and it would provide the needed flexibility.

The problem here would be dinamically loading files with markers depending on
the level-12 tile we're in, and not showing anything in lower levels. Sounds
like we can have lots of fun hacking OpenLayers...

--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org>