[Tilesathome] POI layer?

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 20:28:58 BST 2007

On 9/20/07, spaetz <osm at sspaeth.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I added amenity=restaurant icons to z17 and ivansanchez told me the inner
> city of Madrid is all cluttered up now :-).
> So I tried a first hack cut at a POI layer which could be used to turn
> on/off those icons. My experimental version can be seen here:
>
> http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~spaetz/?lat=6024010.44819&lon=971678.04193&zoom=17&layers=00BFFFT
>
> (It's the regular mapnik layer plus a selectable POI layer for now and
> only that excerpt has been rendered). This could be rendered as a selectable
> layer with t at h without having to download additional data from the API.
> The drawbacks are a) more disk space on the dev server side. b) more IO as
> it needs to be downloaded as extra files and c) downloaded tiles for mapping
> will not contain those POI by default anymore.
>
> What do you think? Should we use that?

It would be quite easy to separate out all this stuff from the Osmarender
rules files to create a number of layers.  All captions are now grouped into
a single block so the rule file can just be chopped in half.

As I understand it, the size of the png files is somewhat proportional to
the content.  So removing POIs from one tileset and creating a second
tileset probably wouldn't make much net difference to the overall disk space
or bandwidth usage.

I've been thinking about doing something similar for the text caption layer
so that the use can choose whether to view, say, english street names or
arabic street names.

There could potentially be a need for a lot of different layers, but if the
space consumption is not great then I don't really see any problem with this
- lets have lots and lots of layers :)

80n

For now there is one modification to tilesGen needed as it ususally aborts