[Tilesathome] Proposal: New T at H Server structure

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jun 1 11:46:18 BST 2008

Hi,

> i have done quite some thinking lately how to speed up the tiles at home
> upload. I've come up with an complete new structure of the server System.

There was a rather cool concept on the Wiki about a year ago where
we would distribute tiles using DNS, i.e. you would always find
the "responsible" server through DNS instead of through expensive
database lookups and HTTP redirects.

My personal thinking though is that we don't need a complex system
like that because as soon as chrschmidt gets the new disks, everything
is going to run smoothly again.

A highly distributed concept, in my eyes, has one big drawback: We
must assume that at any one time, a small percentage of tile servers
will be down or slow. The usability of a map display is greatly
reduced even if only one tile is missing. I would go so far as to say
that a map consisting of 20 tiles, where one tile is a broken image,
is a "failure". This means that if you get the tiles for one map
display from 20 tile servers, then you have not a single point of
failure, but 20 cascading single points of failure ;-)

Bye
Frederik