[Tilesathome] Proposal: New T at H Server structure

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Sun Jun 1 19:08:12 BST 2008

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 06:55:36PM +0200, Gerhard Schmidt wrote:

> > "tile" (regular), "maplint", "lowzoom", and "caption" (currently only -en, potentially many more). If you simply had one server responsible for one (or a few) layers, you could easily distribute the upload-load between 2-4 servers.
>
> The load will be extremely uneven. 90% of the request will got to the
> regular server and the rest 10% are distributed about the 3 other servers.

What load are you talking about? If you talk about views, then yes. But views are not an issue right now. The upload queue is the issue, and load there is about the same for all layers (whenever you upload a regular tile, you are likely to upload a maplint tile too, etc)

> Maybe i have :-) No there will be no need for news servers at start.

That sounds good :-)

> The gain is that we have ways to scale if demand rises (and rising
> demand is what we need for the success of the project) If the system
> grows to slow we just add another Server an the system scales top both
> of them.

Sure, if you manage to achieve that, fine. I'll be the first to congratulate you :-).

Somebody else said "talk is cheap, code counts" :-)). I'm looking forward to seeing it. Good luck and have fun,
spaetz