[Tilesathome] Proposal: New T at H Server structure

Mon Jun 2 08:42:40 BST 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I always perceive t at h as the more haphazard hobbyist layer. Look
> at our current map at zoom level 2 and try not to run away crying.
> Makes one think that a good distributed server concept is not the
> No 1 on the list of things we'd need ;-)

Agreed, extreme lowzoom is not pretty.

1) I have just temporarily inserted a rerender request whenever an
"unknown tile" is requested, so we should get rid of these in some
(rather short) time.

2) The caption layer should provide some nicer captions on low-zoom
levels, e.g. continents in z=2, countries in z=5 etc...

Maybe I should have a look at how lowzoom is being generated right now
and see, if there are some quick fixes.
I don't think it would be an enormous effort to pretty things up.

Sebastian