[Tilesathome] Proposal: Keeping tileset as one file

Knut Arne Bjørndal bob+osm at cakebox.net
Fri Jun 6 10:10:09 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:56:27AM +0200, Jiri Klement wrote:
> I didn't mean  to just replace zip with something easier. I meant to
> send all tiles for one layer in one file and keep that file on the
> server. Don't extract png files.
>
> Currently there is about 1000 png files for one z12 tileset. I propose
> to keep all these pngs in one file file with simple structure.

I don't think it makes sense to complicate tile serving this way. Your
approach would basically optimize the server for uploads, where all
the tiles in different zoomlevels are stored in different files and
not browsing where the fast bursts of requests will often require
tiles from several tilesets.

I asked a bit on #osm, and it seems the current problem is basically
the write speed on the drive where tiles are stored. This proposal
will not cause any less data to be stored to disk, so it will not
really make any difference for uploads anyway. What is needed is more
I/O bandwith to the disk, which it seems is on it's way in the form of
new harddrives.

> Btw. At first I've sent this to Alan only. Wouldn't it be better to
> configure list to include reply-to: tilesathome at openstreetmap.org
> header?

No, for many reasons. One of the most important is that I think many
people should think about what they are doing before sending mail to
fairly many recipients. Google for something like "mailing lists
reply-to" for many other reasons why that kind of behaviour is a bad
thing.

--
Knut Arne Bjørndal
aka Bob Kåre