[Tilesathome] Proposal: Keeping tileset as one file

Jiri Klement jiri.klement at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 12:38:34 BST 2008

Hi,

> > I think browsing will get slightly faster too:
> >  - extra overhead for one tile is only 4KB, it's propably less than
> > overhead for getting file in filesystem with millions of files
> >

>  I disagree. Apache is extremely efficient at delivering files. Internally
> there's even operating system support ("take this file handle and this
> network socket, then stream out contents"). Your proposed architecture would
> at the very best (if done as a C/C++ module) achieve the same performance,
> but is very likely to incur extra overhead. If, god forbid, done in PHP or
> something like it, data will have to be copied...

I can get 530MB/s from following php script running on localhost:
$data = file_get_contents ( "data.txt" ); /* 47kB */

for ($i=0; $i<100000000; $i++) {
	print($data);
}

I think hdd access is the bottleneck here, not how fast are data
transfered from handle to socket.

>That disk is currently connected over NFS and nobody knows what filesystem is on the disk itself. So using local disks should make many of the problems go away.
I agree here, working with small files over NFS is probably pretty slow.